Loading prices...

Register/Sign in
ScrapMonster
Plastic Recycling May 03, 2023 11:15:06 AM

New Partnership Aims to Boost Nigeria's Plastic Recycling Network

Paul Ploumis
ScrapMonster Author
The lack of proper awareness on waste management and inadequate household collection mechanisms too have been plaguing the waste management sector.

New Partnership Aims to Boost Nigeria's Plastic Recycling Network

SEATTLE (Scrap Monster): The National Agency for Science and Engineering Infrastructure (NASENI) has entered into a partnership deal with Alon Green Recycling to boost plastic recycling machinery and equipment. The five-year deal aims to provide big boost to waste management and recycling in Nigeria.

The local recycling and plastic waste management sector in the country has been facing several challenges, including poor quality of locally fabricated recycling equipment and high cost of imported equipment. The lack of proper awareness on waste management and inadequate household collection mechanisms too have been plaguing the waste management sector.

ALSO READ:

Recycling Plastic in Five Innovative Ways

Gliobal Campaign to Reduce Plastic Waste Announced Major Expansion

The partnership aims to assure durable functional equipment to recyclers, which in turn will ensure efficient recycling and environmental safety. It targets to deliver practical solutions to solve the issues facing local recycling sector.

The collaboration has the potential to make recycling more economically viable for Nigerian SMEs, said Mrs Nonyem Onyechi, Acting Executive Vice Chairman, NASENI.

As per studies, Nigeria is ranked 9th among world’s top plastic polluters. The country generates approximately 2.5 million tons of plastic waste every year, out of which only around 12% is recycled, with the remaining 88% ending up in landfills.

×

Quick Search

Advanced Search