Performs preventive maintenance inspection (PMI); troubleshoots, repairs, and rebuilds major components on vehicles and equipment. Ensures accurate diagnosis and effective repair and/or replacement of components.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Maintains a clean, safe work area in compliance with Corporate/OSHA Standards, and performs all work in accordance with established safety procedures.
- Performs preventive maintenance inspections and ensures the timely and effective repair of any problems identified during an inspection.
- Performs proficient inspection, diagnosis and moderately complex repair of assigned vehicles and equipment.
- Provides assistance, guidance and direction to other maintenance personnel.
- Utilizes vehicle computer electronics systems to interpret failure modes to initiate or assign repairs.
- Estimates time and material costs on repairs and requisitions new parts.
- Advises supervisor immediately if additional work is needed or if repairs cannot be completed within the Standard Repair Times (SRTs).
- Inspects the quality of outside/supplier repairs and or rebuilds. Assesses structural damage and assigns needed repairs utilizing the most appropriate method(s).
- Performs service calls for emergency breakdowns.
- Conducts safety checks on vehicles. Performs maintenance related work as required.
- In the absence of supervision may provide maintenance supervisory duties.
This job has no supervisory duties.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- If a CDL is a requirement, an applicant must be 21 years of age.
- Valid driver’s license and must have a clean driving record.
- Legally eligible to work in the United States.
- Ability to perform physical requirements of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Successfully complete pre-employment drug screen, physical, and background check, which will include previous employment check, criminal history and motor vehicle record review.
Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Skill in operating tools equipment, parts and procedures utilized during the repair and servicing of vehicles and equipment
- Skill in repair of special purpose equipment, ability to effectively communicate needed repairs or tasks
- Ability to diagnose defects in and repair a variety of equipment and vehicles
- Ability to utilize fleet maintenance software program
- Knowledge of Total Tire Maintenance Program may be required.
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc) most of the work day;
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than 30 pounds most of the work day;
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc) often;
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements often;
Normal setting for this job is: repair/maintenance shop.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.