Scrap Monster
Vulcan
Vulcan
Steel News July 09, 2019 11:30:57 AM

US Steel Clairton Emissions Settlement: Public Comment Period Commences

Paul Ploumis
ScrapMonster Author
The public hearing is scheduled to be held on July 30, 2019 at 6 PM at the Clairton Municipal Building.
US Steel Clairton Emissions Settlement: Public Comment Period Commences

SEATTLE (Scrap Monster):  The 30-day public comment period of the settlement reached between Pittsburgh-based US Steel and the Allegheny County Health Department (ACHD) in connection with emission violations at its Clairton Plant in Clairton, Pennsylvania has begun July 1, 2019. The public hearing is scheduled to be held on July 30, 2019 at 6 PM at the Clairton Municipal Building.

Under the terms of the settlement, the company has committed to invest nearly $200 million towards improvements to coke batteries, with significant upgrades to emission control mechanisms and infrastructure. The company will also submit to third-party audits of their systems. Earlier in May this year, it had announced notable investment in a new cogeneration facility at the plant. These investments are expected to lead to significant reductions in particulate emission levels.

Out of the agreed $2.7 million civil penalty, 90% will be allocated to the newly formed “Community Benefit Trust”, which in turn will directly benefit the communities adjacent to the plant. The remaining 10% will be deposited into the Allegheny County Clean Air Fund.

ALSO READ: U.S. Steel Fined for Toxic Emissions at Clairton Facility

The Group Against Smog and Pollution (GASP) welcomed ACHD’s decision to take public comment and conduct a public hearing on the settlement. Rachel Filippini, executive director, GASP noted that it is still reviewing the full text of the settlement and that it will offer specific comments on the settlement towards the end of the month.